If you and your significant other are planning a child or if you are already expecting, there are five things you must be aware of as a budding new mother-to-be. Forget about all those days you babysat the neighborhood kids as a teen, as well as how you’re going to feel emotional since it varies from new mother to mother. Read on and prepare for a new and exciting life as a mother.
- A temporary hiatus. After your bouncing baby boy or girl has been delivered, new mothers are infused with joy and excitement. However, your life before bringing your infant home will take a respite as your personality, marriage and your day-to-day routine changes. In essence, you will have little if any time to do the things you used to as your care for your newborn. But do not fret! Your old life will reappear in due time as baby ages thus allowing you to gradually get back to your old routine and lifestyle.
- Winging it. Despite the research you may have conducted on the Internet, the advice you have received from experienced mothers, as well as the numerous books you may have read, raising a newborn primarily consists of learning on the go and learning from intuition as well as one’s mistakes. Only in fairy tales and movies are mothers ever perfect, so accept that for the most part you will be learning how to care for your child on the fly. But what better way to learn? If there was a patented process it would be dull and regimental thus less exciting.
- Many a tear has to fall. The joy of being a new mother obviously has its ups and downs. Crying babies can and do lead to frustration and you will find yourself crying along with baby. That’s normal and will pass. As a mother you will experience many more tears of joy as your baby grows and interacts with you, so go with the flow and don’t expect everything to be hunky dory all the time. Trials lead to experience and help you become a better mother.
- A mother’s intuition. Yeah, so you’re a new mom and you think you’ll freeze up when it’s just you and the baby alone when a mini-crisis arises. Don’t sell yourself short! Trust your motherly intuition. You’ll be surprised with how your instinct leads you down the right path to resolving almost any issue. Trust in yourself to know what the next right thing to do is.
- Emotions in motion. Raising a newborn will provide you with a rollercoaster of emotions, from utter frustration to loneliness, remorse and a variety of other feelings. Again, go with the flow. Don’t attempt to deny your emotions. A new mother is always susceptible to conflicting sentiments but there is no “perfect” way to feel. Keep in mind that for the most part your joy will exceed all other emotions, especially as your baby grows and you gain experience.
The path of motherhood may seem daunting at first. Nevertheless, realizing that your motherly predisposition will guide you along the way will provide you with much needed confidence. And don’t neglect to enlist some assistance.You’ll need a break away from baby so feel free to take advantage of some alone time to restore your energy. Finally, rejoice – you are as special as your baby!