By: Alexandra Spitz, Parent Educator and mom of two!
- Never lose sight of what you want. Things may not come at the moment you want them, but they will come when the moment is right.
- Don’t ever be embarrassed by your desires after your baby is born. If you planned on being a stay-at-home mom but you can’t wait to get back to work, don’t feel badly. Instead, give yourself the credit you deserve by being able to recognize that it’s going to be best for you and your family to be a working mom. If you planned on going back to work but you can’t imagine being away from your child, what a nice surprise this will be!
- Nothing is forever! This is the best piece of advice I was given while I was pregnant with my first. As humans, we are constantly changing. Babies are no exception. Just know that every tough phase is just a phase and will turn itself around. It is a wonderful reminder for every part of our lives!
- Your family’s needs come first. Don’t say “yes” to others when you really mean “no”. It will only cause resentment and more stress within yourself.
- Make sure to take time for yourself. While it seems as though being a mom is about being selfless, you’re actually doing yourself and your family a disservice by not taking time for yourself. If you don’t put the oxygen mask on first, you won’t have enough oxygen to help those around you.
- Quality time with your girlfriends is a must! Who knew our girlfriends would become what gets us through?!
- JOIN A MOMMY GROUP! Nothing prepares you for having a newborn, but being surrounded by other new moms going through exactly what you are is a lifesaver during such an overwhelming transition.